Do You Need To Worry About Smart Home Hacking In Worcester?
In a variety of ways, smart components like surveillance equipment and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We are able to receive notifications whenever someone arrives at our front steps, and we can have video segments sent to us when questionable activity is detected. Having devices we may communicate with via the internet warns us of developing threats immediately. But there is one chief drawback. The quick access that benefits us is also cracking a door open for hackers.
While you shouldn’t lose sleep worrying about smart home hacking in Worcester, you need to be cognizant of the potential safety issue and take steps to circumvent it.
Methods To Block Smart Home Hacking
It’s amazing how the internet has impacted our daily lives as just about anything is accessible remotely, including your security components, smart flat screens, and even your refrigerator. This also produces more pathways for virtual villains to sneak into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to eschew wireless home security systems or other smart components. Alternatively, follow these suggestions and do what you can to keep intruders off your network.
- Create hard-to-guess passwords: This is a must for every account, especially your home’s wireless network. Use lower and upper casing and an assortment of numbers, letters, and special characters. Avoid birthdays, full words, or other options hackers may easily guess. A password generator will give you something absolutely random and a password manager may assist you in tracking your various accounts and passwords.
- Change default settings: When you first unbox a new router, it’s likely to come with a preset password to help you get started. Don’t forget to update it. Hackers will have these default passwords as well. Establishing your wireless network and router properly in the beginning is critical in keeping you secure.
- Consider a separate network: Why put your smart fridge, your home security components, and the laptop you use for work on one network? The majority of routers will let you initiate a distinct guest network. Take advantage of it and safeguard important material present on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for business settings. They may also be incorporated into your personal network. Firewalls will watch what’s happening on your network and stop questionable activity. You might begin with a router with an integrated firewall.
- Choose the top encryption settings and security protocols: If you own a new router, you may have the ability to utilize WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You need to install home security components that protect with 128-bit or higher.
- Make sure firmware and software is current: Keep your firmware and software at the latest levels for all equipment, including your connected video cameras. Many times, these updates will fix various susceptibilities and improve your network’s security.
Be Cautious of Cheap Smart Home Components In Worcester
One of the advantages of working with a trusted brand like ADT is knowing that security devices are constantly being examined to ensure there are no vulnerabilities. Other lesser-known options might not be quite as diligent. Getting your smart thermostat, video doorbell, surveillance system, and additional smart devices from a lone source like ADT is a wise choice. And getting all of your equipment connected at once will help ensure flawless configuration, performance, and security. It’s important to note that ADT Command, the hub of your security system, uses two-way encryption when interacting with your smart components.
Request Your Own Worcester Home Defense Package
Since you now have a better idea on how to keep your wireless network shielded from hackers, you’re ready to begin designing your own smart home security system in Worcester. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to find the ideal package for your family. Dial (508) 283-7533 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.